About the Plan
There is no limit to what individuals with disabilities can do. Now, that includes saving, too. The State of Delaware offers a low cost 529(a) savings plan – DEPENDABLE – that allows individuals with disabilities and their families to save for a broad range of expenses on a tax-advantaged basis without jeopardizing their benefits from supplemental security income (SSI), Medicaid and other federal programs. Eligible individuals can open an account for themselves, or an authorized individual can open an account on their behalf.
Need help determining how much of your biweekly, monthly, or annual income you can contribute towards your account? Our Available Income Calculator can help do the math.
Para obtener información en Español, haga clic aquí.
Special Tax Advantages
- Earnings on your investments are federally tax-deferred, maximizing your return.
- Withdrawals are federally tax-free, if used for qualified expenses.
- NEW Starting in calendar year 2022 there is a tax deduction of up to $5,000 for Delaware ABLE contributions from the account owner or another contributor if they file their income taxes in Delaware.
No Impact on Current Benefits
- Balances under $100,000 are excluded from the SSI resource limit.
- You’ll continue to be eligible for Medicaid, regardless of your account balance.
- Open an account online with as little as $25.
- Access your account by phone or online 24/7 from a PC, tablet, or mobile device.
- Select the checking option to easily access your funds via a debit card.
- With the easy-to-use Ugift feature, anyone can contribute to your account.
Expenditures for non-qualified expenditures will be penalized (tax and potential SSI penalties).
How can I use my ABLE account?
Learn about responsible investment options.
I’m ready to open an account.
I have an ABLE account.
For questions regarding the Delaware DEPENDABLE Plan, contact us.
The ABLE Task Force was created to help evaluate, and recommend an optimal decision regarding the State’s ABLE implementation. Through a robust and comprehensive RFP process, the PMB was provided with the information necessary from the Task Force to make a wise decision about this important program that provides life-altering benefits for many of our fellow citizens.
Task Force Memorandums